Skip to main content

Hay(na)ku sonnets

April 10 Napowrimo prompt: Today’s prompt (optional, as always) is another one from the archives, first suggested to us by long-time Na/GloPoWriMo participant Vince Gotera. It’s the hay(na)ku). Created by the poet Eileen Tabios and named by Vince, the hay(na)ku is a variant on the haiku. A hay(na)ku consists of a three-line stanza, where the first line has one word, the second line has two words, and the third line has three words. You can write just one, or chain several together into a longer poem. For example, you could write a hay(na)ku sonnet, like the one that Vince himself wrote back during NaPoWriMo 2012!

So, some hay(na)ku sonnets:

Silverware Drawer

Spoons
plain forks
the rattly knife

Curves
simple sans-serifs
all size spoons

We
emptied out
all the extras

I
washed out
the metal tray

Now it’s perfect
Spacious silverware drawer


***

Coronaworld Problems

First
it interrupted
online divorce support

Then
it ruined
ladies’ Zoom dance

Almost
made me
quit online contra

Zoom
was broken
microphone kaput, crashing

Social life over
Then: restart computer!

***

Porch Moment

Above
it all
in my hammock

Elbow
banged up
knee bruised, swollen

Walkers
stroll by
with dogs, babies

Telephones
at ears
one-sided conversations overheard

Bluejay swoops past
Blue sky embraces

***


Questions

Basic
things I
still don’t understand

How
people decide
how to behave

Who
is asking
all the questions

When
this virus
will release us

How we make
the world better/right

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My own lone self (ghazal)

I wanted a minute’s breath to quiet my hectic own self I wanted the voices held away from my frenzy-prone self I thought, let me close my eyes and hold my face in my hands Just like that I was in a world apart with my unknown self It was meant to be only a moment, to still my jangled thoughts But I stayed there, unhooked, unplugged, with my dreamzone self I’m a little girl. I’m a gawky teen. I’m a weird aging woman I’m a dancing fool sitting stone still alone with my own grown self Just me and the quiet. Just me held safe in my own cool hands A circle of peace around this jangly shaky-bone self The magic is usually deep in the snaking threads that keep us webbed Tonight I cut them all to spend time with my sole lone self I’m a silent rebellion, a party of one, my face in my strong cool hands A prayer of my own in this alien world, hauling home my far-flown self

Correspondence (nonets)

every night my friend I write to you between workstop and complete sleep I make the day into words people into pictures hard things into thoughts I know you’ll read that helps me write it down every morning you write back to me you’ve had a night to sleep on things you’ve had a night to dream in your bright-eyed day begins your life unlike mine our selves unlike yet we write and learn still all day I carry your morning words all day snippets come back to me I answer you in my head by nighttime when I write most is forgotten I am sleepy it gets late words go blur we toss ideas into the air they come back to us fast and slow now we are covered in them I learn of the not-me What would Heather do? there is a world we stalk it talk it full this is another night now my friend again the day has gone headlong I write of dance, edits, groups you’ll write of paint, dog, run we talk of people we talk of sel...

there was a tree to draw (listening to Rhiannon)

there was a tree to draw and I drew it strangely there was a sweetness to draw on and I smashed it wrong there was a wall full of drawers and in every one an old body there was a zipper to pull and everything went spilling lost this is the wrong handwriting but it keeps looping this is the quiet, finally, brushing me with its lashes this is the fever we dance to with the deep deep beat these are the eyelids we press with cooling fingers it doesn’t stop for anything, it keeps me turning it doesn’t wait for letters from the old back country it doesn’t run smoothly through the rolling machinery it doesn’t drink the things I drink, it doesn’t know from ice how do the hundreds of hours fill with brisk-eyed wanting? how do the hundreds of pages speak the dusty lines? how do the hundreds of feet stomp the ageworn wood? how do the hundreds of aches ever rest?  ------------ * today's Napowrimo prompt: Listen to a favorite piece of music and write...