Skip to main content

I keep coming across the same stranger

I keep coming across the same stranger, and she wants me to dream in the same color green. To beat the rugs to precision, hanging as they do in patterned formation, Persian, Southwest, Chinese, deep red, oh the ocher repeating, what do we see? I keep coming across the same stranger, and she creaks with the knees she has danced on forever out of my sight. I keep throwing my elbows up and out and swigging the potbellied Koolaid, this is a childhood I won’t escape, this is a dance I won’t remember. I keep letting go of the same things, eyelid by eyelid, there isn’t an end to this riddle, it isn’t sweet but it tastes like it, there isn’t anything left at the end. I keep letting go of the same things and my hands ache from opening, from being empty. I keep letting go of the same things and in the distance the worldbeat mows and scrapes, drills and races.

I keep coming across the same stranger, and she whispers in someone else’s ear but it echoes in mine. She dances in someone else’s body but it hurts in mine. She dreams in someone else’s language but I wake up in mine. I keep coming across the same stranger, and she speaks to me in the same riddle, and if her mother is dead, like mine, then aren’t we the same? She is two steps ahead of me, three steps behind, and we are each wrapped in bubbles that will not pop. I keep coming across the same stranger, and I won’t say the words, it would be too easy, I open my hands again and I let go. I keep letting go of the same things. I keep coming across the same stranger.

I keep coming across the same stranger, and she is certain. Oh, to be certain. That she is. She cannot be me because she is certain and I am so busy letting go. She is certainly me but I must let her go. I keep letting go. She comes back.

I keep coming across the same stranger, and her world is small, but she and I are enormous. She can’t smell colors, I can’t see flavors, we both keep bumping into things. I try to make sense, she tries to unmake it, we’re never in the same place and oh, I keep coming across the same stranger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small pleasures (landays)

There comes a time when the well rings dry When the mothers and fathers live in empty houses When the day turns an unseen color When the letters we send shred themselves to confetti There comes a day when the trees grow tired A time when my bones walk slower than my memory When the signs don’t know how to read me When the comfort I get comes from counting surely down There comes an hour when we just stop short When the world streams by in all its hot cacophony There comes a moment when all is well The pebbles are smooth, the babies are rolling fatly When the roar of the unthought, undone Lets through ribbons of song from the basements and attics

there was a tree to draw (listening to Rhiannon)

there was a tree to draw and I drew it strangely there was a sweetness to draw on and I smashed it wrong there was a wall full of drawers and in every one an old body there was a zipper to pull and everything went spilling lost this is the wrong handwriting but it keeps looping this is the quiet, finally, brushing me with its lashes this is the fever we dance to with the deep deep beat these are the eyelids we press with cooling fingers it doesn’t stop for anything, it keeps me turning it doesn’t wait for letters from the old back country it doesn’t run smoothly through the rolling machinery it doesn’t drink the things I drink, it doesn’t know from ice how do the hundreds of hours fill with brisk-eyed wanting? how do the hundreds of pages speak the dusty lines? how do the hundreds of feet stomp the ageworn wood? how do the hundreds of aches ever rest?  ------------ * today's Napowrimo prompt: Listen to a favorite piece of music and write...

the same dance

we are dancing the same dance, but at very different speeds me standing on Daddy’s feet, five years old, at the van Renterghems’ New Year’s Eve party (oh and the grownup tables at my eye height as I wandered the room, the pig with its frilly skirt and apple in its month, us miniature Baptists telling jokes about Catholics, what did we know) we are dancing the same dance, but to such different music you send me messages and there is never a ding or a buzz, just randomly later I glance over and there are your words, floating we are dancing such a different dance to this same old music will we ever find ourselves dancing it together? Marjy and me on our untrained tiptoes, fat Belgian lady at the piano, tiny Belgian girls in their bathing suits leaping across the floor Mommy and Ruthy and me in the living room, put your little foot , all of us on the cracked tennis court, square dances on records, Uncle Jerry shooing away the little kids, won’t you dance with m...