Skip to main content

Imperfection

Look at me, world. What do I think I am doing?
Remembering words spoken, breathing blue sky
Sitting in a quiet of chunk, chirp, call, and whistle.

I said the wrong things to innocent people
I haven’t done enough of the right work

The fruit salad was cold, wet, sweet. The red hammock
Is swinging, waiting for me. The broken ceramic
Squares underneath draw new squares with their cracks.

My children have to live in this faulty world
I never ordered disinfectant wipes and now it’s too late

A lot of words spoken. A lot of things broken.
Soft blue and white stripes in the sky, remembered words
A body that has somehow carried me down the years.

This faulty world, what can I say? I have too much
It isn’t right. The system that is breaking . . .

The green panoramic quiet spread out beneath me
The chairs spilled conversational, red to blue to yellow
A lot of words spoken. But now, just the singing

I want to cry for my world. But so many are still alive
I want to cry for the beauty. Let’s do that

Whistle and chunk, hammock and chairs, blue and red
Things spoken, things broken, things sung and unsaid
The dusty screen, the light new green, the quiet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My own lone self (ghazal)

I wanted a minute’s breath to quiet my hectic own self I wanted the voices held away from my frenzy-prone self I thought, let me close my eyes and hold my face in my hands Just like that I was in a world apart with my unknown self It was meant to be only a moment, to still my jangled thoughts But I stayed there, unhooked, unplugged, with my dreamzone self I’m a little girl. I’m a gawky teen. I’m a weird aging woman I’m a dancing fool sitting stone still alone with my own grown self Just me and the quiet. Just me held safe in my own cool hands A circle of peace around this jangly shaky-bone self The magic is usually deep in the snaking threads that keep us webbed Tonight I cut them all to spend time with my sole lone self I’m a silent rebellion, a party of one, my face in my strong cool hands A prayer of my own in this alien world, hauling home my far-flown self

One Year In (Anniversary Landays)

I cannot make the way smooth for you Young lovers chiseling out your own path on this earth I’ve been squinting through this old keyhole With my blindest eye, been singing my wobbliest notes I feel windows open for dancing I smell the fresh bread of tomorrow punching higher All across the land toes are digging Into dirt, pebbles, grass, wood - every foot a new shape First son, new daughter, you make me glad There will be breath, there will be food, there will be cartwheels

even better

even better than the writing is the not writing even better than the rooms are the hallways even better than the fingers are the missing rings even better than the cookies are the empty greasy spots on the baking sheet how will I know, she wondered, and her backache said, just start but where should I start, she said, and her sore feet said, right here and when do I stop, she asked but there wasn’t a good answer even harder than the aches are the wants even harder than the fists are the open hands even harder than the waiting is the being even harder than the trees are the countless, nameless, hopeful flowers I walked over a bridge, she said I opened a letter, and I learned something new I closed a book, and I missed so much I sat on a bench, and I laughed even older than the sense is the nonsense even older than the aches are the hollow rooms even older than this poem is the waiting even older than the end is the constantly shif...